Top causes of residential fires in Davenport and how to prevent them
There are a plethora of perils you need to keep in mind as a property owner. Fire is at the top of the list, as it can happen in various places and at any time. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States due to residential fires in 2021. Also during this year, there were over 350,000 reported fires. Thankfully, there are actions you can take to avoid them. Learn more about the causes and how to prevent house fires in Davenport.
What starts residential fires in Davenport?
Fires can sprout up in any spot and without notice, whether ignited by a burning cigarette in a waste container or an unattended stovetop. Here are the most common causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Flare-ups in the kitchen are the most frequent kinds of residential fires in Davenport and everywhere else. Neglected stovetops are the main cause, so always keep an eye on that scorching skillet when making dinner. It’s also important to note that throwing water on a grease fire will only make things worse.
- Heating: Space heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Operating them for lengthy amounts of time can result in internal components degrading and sparking. Placing heaters near combustible fabrics like blankets and curtains or using worn cords can also lead to disastrous results. Other heating elements, such as furnaces and fireplaces, might cause fires and ought to be checked periodically.
- Electrical: Outdated wiring, malfunctioning outlets, and overwhelmed extension cords are some ways electrical issues cause fires. Never use an appliance with a frayed cord, and make sure ignitable substances like paper aren’t layed on top of a lampshade, get it checked out promptly.
- Candles: Wherever there's a flame, there's a chance of fire. Residential fires due to candles are still frequently reported and typically result from careless behavior. Burning candles next to combustible objects like drapes or leaving them within the reach of a rambunctious pet will often produce disastrous results.
- Smoking: In spite of the overall decline in smoking nationwide, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were caused by smoking in 2021. Dozing off while holding a cigarette or prematurely discarding smoldering ashes can cause destructive results.
The primary way to prevent house fires in Davenport is to steer clear of careless behavior. Always watch closely when cooking, never leave a candle unattended, and properly dispose of cigarettes. If you must run a space heater, do so sparingly and invest in one that has an automatic shut-off safety precaution in case it is knocked over.
Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in Davenport
You need to have smoke detectors on each floor and consider using more by bedrooms. But you can take your protection a step further with a monitored fire alarm. These beneficial safety devices will not only discern smoke but can also trigger due to elevated heat levels. Furthermore, since they are part of your modern smart home, they’ll notify you and your monitoring professionals whenever an emergency takes place. This is a notable feature, especially when you’re not around to hear the alarm and contact the fire department yourself.
Safeguard your home against various dangers with a Vivint smart home in Davenport
Enhance the protection of your residence today with a Vivint smart home. You may customize our systems with monitored fire alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and water sensors. You’ll be thankful for the instant notifications to your mobile device and the peace of mind that you enjoy with professional monitoring. Dial (563) 674-6116 to talk with a Vivint representative.